Data Loss Protection: why you can’t afford to only rely on tools like Dropbox
Accelerating business – protecting productivity and value
Cloud collaboration tools: powering modern productivity
Cloud collaboration tools like Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, Box and Dropbox drive powerful new ways of working—enabling seamless sharing of ideas and data that accelerates the speed of business, increases efficiency and enhances client and customer experiences.
Cloud storage = data loss protection? Not exactly
As businesses look for new ways to leverage cloud collaboration tools, it’s tempting to see them as a potential replacement for a true data loss protection product. But a tool that stores files in the cloud is not the same as automatic cloud data loss protection. In fact, these tools’ greatest strengths become dangerous weaknesses when used in place of true automatic cloud data loss protection, exposing your business to big risks—from spreading malware and ransomware, to losing productivity, revenue and even customers.
To help small businesses maximize the value of their cloud collaboration tools—while protecting their files, their intellectual property and their productivity—CrashPlan for Small Business put together this simple guide.
The risks of relying on cloud collaboration as data loss protection
Only some files are covered
- A strength: Syncs the most recent versions of the files your employees are currently working on.
- Becomes a weakness: Employees only share files in the later stages of completion. Work-in-progress files, notes, ideas and all the other work that comes before a “shareable” draft are completely unprotected from data loss.
80% of the typical company’s value lies in its files and data.1
Completely dependent on employee compliance
- A strength Gives users maximum control over file access and sharing.
- Becomes a weakness: Even if your official company policy is to save all files—including work-in-progress files—to the cloud sharing app, you’re still completely dependent on your employees remembering to manually save files, every time. If they forget—or ignore—that policy, valuable files are unprotected.
On average, only 23% of your employees’ files and data make it to a cloud collaboration tool.2
- A strength “Free and unlimited” cloud storage.
- Becomes a weakness: If you use a cloud collaboration tool for truly comprehensive protection— every version of every file, for all time—you will likely hit the hidden limits of “unlimited” storage and end up paying a premium for added storage capacity.
Missing essential admin tools
- A strength Functionality built with the end-user in mind.
- Becomes a weakness: Administrators don’t have any way to confirm which files are protected—or test if the files are restorable.
Not built to secure & protect valuable information
- A strength: Seamless access and easy sharing.
- Becomes a weakness: Cloud collaboration solutions are built for easy sharing—but that means they can easily share malware and viruses too. Data loss protection solutions provide an “air-gap” to ensure infections aren’t shared.
42% of SMBs report being the victim of a cyberattack3 and half of them go out of business within six months as a result.4
Malware & ransomware spreads
- A strength Real-time syncing and seamless file sharing.
- Becomes a weakness: Infected files that start on one employee’s device quickly spread to other users via automatic syncing. And worse, malware is specifically designed for this weakness, using cloud collaboration tools to penetrate all company files through a single device.
Slow, painful file restores
- A strength Features focused on moving files forward.
- Becomes a weakness: Restoring lost files is a manual, multi-step process—taking hours or days and magnifying productivity loss and other business impacts.
“OneDrive is great for being able to share data outside of the organization (large files) but at the end of the day it doesn’t protect the entire computer, and that’s where the CrashPlan software comes into play because it does protect the whole computer.”– Michael LuehrIT Consultant, 7 Layer IT Solutions Inc.
“Here’s what small businesses need: automatic backup with versioning – the ability to restore any version of any file.”– William KissePrincipal, Washington Open MRI
Plugging the gaps with automatic data loss protection
True data loss protection solutions offer unique functionality specifically designed to eliminate gaps and deliver comprehensive protection of all your files and data, so you can always bounce back—no matter what happens.
- Automatic: Protection happens silently and continuously – not vulnerable to employee mistakes, and not slowing them down, either.
- From the source: Automatic data loss protection pulls files directly from employees’ laptops and desktops, capturing all work-in-progress files to protect productivity.
- Comprehensive: True, automatic cloud data loss protection solutions cover every version of every file, so you can quickly go back to the moment before an incident occurred.
- Secure: Features like sophisticated encryption for data in transit and at rest and simple access controls protect your most valuable and sensitive information.
- Faster restores: Unique data storage techniques, simple restore work flows and point-in-time restore capabilities mean you can restore an entire laptop in minutes—with just a few clicks.
Automatic cloud data loss protection + cloud collaboration tools:
- Cloud Collaboration Tools
- Access files anywhere
- Easily choose files to share
- Sync the latest edits instantly
- Keep your business moving forward
Automatic cloud backup
- Secure files everywhere
- Automatically protect every file
- Restore any version immediately
- Always bounce back
1 Deloitte Review issue 19 “The hidden costs of an IP breach”
2 Code42 Software, Inc.
3 NSBA 2015 Year-End Economic Report
4 SEC The Need for Greater Focus on the Cybersecurity Challenges Facing Small and Midsize Businesses
Signup for our monthly newsletter to learn more about Data Loss Protection
Start your free one-month trial of CrashPlan for Small Business – no hidden costs or commitments.
Delivering peace of mind with unlimited automatic cloud backup that is simple to use.