I joined CrashPlan for one simple reason – every business and consumer no matter how large or small needs a secure, scalable, and straightforward endpoint data backup plan.
Like many of you, I have been building, selling, buying, and implementing technologies over 30 years – mostly solutions to hunt, identify and prevent breaches to protect the systems which comprise the lifeblood of organizations – i.e. ensuring the continued ability to restore, process, and analyze critical data. Despite the massive investment in prevention solutions, cyberattacks are becoming increasingly frequent, sophisticated, and devastating, making it more important than ever for companies to have strong cybersecurity measures in place. Breaches continue to occur every day as the threat landscape expands, nation states pursue their agendas, and now new exploits emerge faster than ever (increasingly with the support of AI). The adage “not if but when” has never been more relevant than in today’s world. One protection measure that is often overlooked is endpoint backup. It is critical for resiliency and the ability to recover swiftly.
Endpoints are the gateway to business and personal data. They sit in the middle of everything; enabling communication between different systems and networks and facilitating the exchange of data and services. Endpoint devices have forever changed our lives, and:
- Make it easier for users to access and use different services, such as e-commerce, online banking, business applications, or healthcare.
- Enable personalized services and customized experiences based on consumer data, preferences, and behavior.
- Facilitate integration of different systems, applications, and services seamlessly, making it easier to share and track data and collaborate with partners, vendors, and customers.
- Automate various business processes, such as order processing, inventory management, and customer support, which can help businesses to operate more efficiently and reduce operational costs.
- Provide essential creative tools for creation of spreadsheets, word processing, browsing, file sharing, and photo editing. We use endpoints to create proprietary business data and store invaluable memories.
Given that endpoints have permeated every aspect of our day, we must be vigilant in protecting the vital data on these devices that have become such a focal point for so many of us.
- User data: files, documents, and intellectual property created by the user, such as photos, videos, audio recordings, spreadsheets, presentations, and text files.
- System data: Information about the operating system, hardware configuration, software installed, and system logs.
- Network data: Network connectivity data, such as IP addresses, domain names, and network protocols.
- Application data: data generated or processed by applications installed on the endpoint, such as web browser history, email messages, chat logs, and other application-specific files.
- Security data: security and threat detection, such as antivirus logs, firewall logs, intrusion detection system logs, and system security policies.
- Metadata: information about the data itself, such as file names, file sizes, creation and modification dates, and other attributes.
Anyone who has lost an endpoint, deleted an important file, or had a computer crash knows how stressful and time consuming this can be. The task becomes exponentially more difficult when it impacts your ability to conduct business whether at a small or enterprise scale. To be resilient you must have an endpoint backup plan to quickly recover data in case of data loss or a cyberattack.
A proper backup plan:
- Protects against ransomware attacks.
- Provides faster data recovery.
- Reduces downtime and costs.
- Helps meet compliance requirements.
- Supports a remote workforce.
Everyone needs a CrashPlan, which is what makes us so excited. We have a new investor and a dedicated group of employees excited about expanding our capabilities and growing the business. At CrashPlan we provide: 1) continuous protection of the files important to you, 2) unlimited storage, 3) quick restoration of your files to another device or web-browser without the need for technical help, 4) proper encryption for privacy, and a plethora of other features.
If you are already a user, thank you for trusting CrashPlan! If you aren’t yet a user, I invite you to join our community of more than 900,000 users globally. We make it easy to become data resilient in no time at all with a free trial.